Monday, September 3, 2012

Book Review - "Shatter Me" by Tahereh Mafi

Publisher- Harper Collins
Release Date - Nov 15, 2011
Page Number - 338
Series - Shatter Me #1





Synopsis:
 Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war– and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.





What I liked the most about this book was the writing style. It was filled with beautiful prose, it was very fluid and beautiful to read. I really liked the strike-troughs that were used frequently in this novel, I htought that they were a very interesting part of the reading experience.

Also, I thought the characters in this novel were very well developed. Especially Warner. Despite being a villain, he was my favourite character, and I felt that there was a lot of depth to him and I hope that there will be more development to his character in the next books.

Juliette was also a great main character, she was very intelligent and brave. She was a strong, but a broken person, because of the events in her past, and I really enjoyed reading about her.

I loved the originality of Juliette's power. That aspect of the book was one I wanted to read in the first place.

I thought that the world building was pretty good, but I feel that there should have been more details about how it became so different from today's world.

I did not like the last scene (the one with the purple suit). It just felt so shallow, after an entire book about danger and destruction.

Shatter Me is definitely a book that I really enjoyed. I loved the characters, the unique writing style and the original premise, there were just a couple of things i did not like.

B+

Happy Reading!
PS. If you like my blog, please comment and follow, I really appreciate it! 

My Goodreads Account
My Twitter Account

No comments:

Post a Comment