Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Book Review - "The Summer I Turned Pretty" by Jenny Han

Publisher - Simon & Schuster
Release Date - May 5, 2009
Number of Pages - 276
Series - The Summer #1



Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along.

My Thoughts:
1. This novel has a very authentic, summery feel. The setting is described very well and that makes the book very enjoyable and perfect for the beach.
2. I found the characters to be very realistic. However, I found Belly to be pouty at times, but fortunately that didn't ruin the book for me.
3. I have really enjoyed the flashbacks! I think they provided more depth to the characters. 
4. One thing that did irritate me, was some minor plotholes, ex. one thing happened when Belly was 14, and then 20 pages later it says that the thing happened when she was 13.  IRRITATING.


Rating - A-

No comments:

Post a Comment